Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Back in the Saddle

I know I have complained about laundry before, and although I have come to terms with my situation I must make my displeasure of new developments known!  For almost four months I have done the laundry and hung it up to dry outside.  For four months I have not had any incidents, unless you count occasionally dropping something and having to run down three flights of stairs to get it.  Apparently, I was lulled into a false sense of security, for lately seagulls have felt the need to soil my clean laundry.  Not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES in the past two weeks!  As we all know, bad things come in threes, so I hope and pray that this is the end because I just put a fresh load out to dry a few minutes ago.

In other news, Evan has been very busy since we got back teaching private english lessons.  He know has 7 students (I'm pretty sure) and teaches 11 extra hours per week.  This has reduced our stress over money a bit and given us hope that we actually might be able to backpacking northern Europe before we come home in the summer.  Teaching also has its perks!  (for Evan at least) one of his students who sees him four times a week manages a four star hotel here in Sanxenxo.  Evan had a complimentary hour long massage today!  (don't worry, I'm jealous too) plus the other night he was offered food, he asked for fries and was brought a large plate of steak.  (seriously!)   So, yeah...

The other night, the Music teacher at the school Evan works at took us up north sight-seeing.  We saw a bunch of ruins and more beautiful scenery.  He showed us the remains of a series of towers that were used as warning beacons when the Vikings would attack.  For those of you who have seen the Lord of the Rings movies, it is just like when Gondor needs help from Rohan and they light the beacons!  The Vikings wanted to pillage Santiago de Compostela because the Catholic church had a lot of wealth there.  We also saw more castros (the little circular huts that celtic people lived in).  The scenery at the castros was amazing because it was right on the edge of a rocky out-crop over the ocean.  Unfortunately, we didn't get very good pictures because it was dusk when we got there and pitch black when we left.



It looks strangely tropical for winter... this is a little chapel.


Evan wanted to know how I got up there... 


We have been surfing a couple of times since we got back.  I can actually follow a wave sideways now! (if it breaks slowly)  Last time, when I thought I was surfing alone, Gerardo followed me and tried to push me over!  You can imagine my surprise!  He says he does that to everyone but that most people loose there balance and whip out.  I told him it was because I live with Evan who forces me to stay on my toes.

So, life has pretty much gotten back to normal... some days are chilly, some are warm.  Evan wears shorts through it all.  Representing Canada I suppose...

2 comments:

  1. Awsome pics Cat! That sucks about your laundry. At least you weren't wearing them at the time (like happened to Adam when he was on his mission) I guess that's the downside to line drying, eh? When we lived in Stirling I'd occasionally line dry our clothes, but the biggest issue I had were bugs. Sometimes they'd end up covered in gnats, it was kind of yucky.

    Just so you know, there was a news story yesterday saying that Environment Canada, who predicted a colder than normal winter, is the most wrong they've ever been, since this is the second warmest winter on record. We've had one week of cold, but that's it so far. I think it was 15 the other day. We're taking the boys skiing on Saturday and are expecting nice spring like conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we definitely picked the wrong year to come eh? Actually, here it is kind of the same story, usually it us chilly and rainy all winter but this winter there was only about one month where it was rainy but other than that it has been very nice weather (like the cold days in an Edmonton summer)
    Also - i fixed the picture issues. It was messed up before because my internet is so slow here!
    Also x 2 - I was hoping that you (this includes others who may read this) could recommend me some good books to read. I am advancing in spanish but am having a hard time finding decent books to practice with. I need something with a story line that is interesting (or i won't want to read it) but that is at an easy reading level (like animorphs or a little easier). I am finishing up a comic book based on episodes of a kids TV show and it has been good practice, but it doesn't have me riveted in the least lol! I'm pretty sure my interests are similar to those of your family. But anyway... thanks, I would really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete