Thursday, February 16, 2012

Keepin' On

So, the biggest thing that has happened since my last post is that two weeks ago I strained my shoulder surfing.  It was an overall bad day of surfing for me, a combination of very cold weather, a different and much smaller board, and large waves.  (well, large for us, but small for our teacher).  It was all worth it though, because afterwards, we went to a local board maker's shop!  Gerardo was getting a couple of new boards made for him and he wanted to stop by.  The board maker was super nice and showed us the different steps of making a surf board.  First, he starts with a really big piece of rough material (a very light wood usually) that is board-shaped. (he buys them like that)  Then he has a huge variety of planes and sanders to make it the exact shape he wants.  After that, he covers it in a cloth coated in resin to make it stronger.  Next, he adds the decals or designs that he wants (using special paper or cloth) then he coats it in more of the resin, lets it dry and then adds the fins!  I'm sure I am missing steps but that is the gist of it.  His shop was really cool, with half finished boards everywhere.  Some of the boards were so pretty!!  It's probably a good thing I didn't have 800 euros lying around!  I really wish we had a camera to take pictures so I could show you guys.

So anyway... I took some time off of sports and added all of it (and then some) to video games.  I think I'm getting addicted...  but, we went back surfing yesterday!  My shoulder isn't perfect yet, but its fine if I'm careful and it feels so good to be exercising again!  There were no waves so we practiced some technique and did some surfing related cardio.  It was actually really challenging and quite fun!

In other news, I bought Harry Potter in spanish!  I haven't even finished the first chapter yet because it takes me forever to read one page.  My goal is to finish it before we come home, but I might have bitten off more than I can chew... (five pages down, two hundred forty-four more to go).  Spanish is coming along slowly, my vocab is getting OK, but I need more confidence while talking.  Its strange... I can listen to a conversation and catch most of what is going on, but as soon as someone directs a question to me, my brain tuns off immediately. Even if I would normally know what they said and how to answer, I just freeze.  Its very frustrating!

Time is going by so fast, we are more then half done our stay!  It makes me sad but at the same time I am looking forward to coming back.  I don't ever want to leave the paradise that we have settled into, but I miss my family and friends and I kinda feel like my life is on hold right now.  Plus, I have a long list of restaurants that I can't wait to go to.... oh, Red Robin....

Anyway guys, keep me posted, don't make me beg!

Evan's Valentines Day Present to me!  It was sooo yummy...









The fountain show at Barcelona:

No comments:

Post a Comment